GUINEA-BISSAU STOPS VACCINE STUDY FUNDED BY TRUMP ADMINISTRATION. (PHOTO).

Image
 Guinea-Bissau stops vaccine study funded by Trump administration Guinea-Bissau's foreign minister has said his government has stopped a study funded by the Trump administration aiming to evaluate side effects of the life-saving hepatitis B vaccine, including any links to autism. The West African country, one of the region's poorest, has high rates of hepatitis B, and the prospective study had drawn an outcry from scientists and international health bodies because only half the newborns in the trial would get the vaccine at birth. World Health Organization Director-General Tedros Ghebreyesus said it was not ethical. Guinea-Bissau last month suspended the trial pending an ethical review. Critics had said it was being used to test theories linking vaccines to autism, long promoted by U.S. Health Secretary Robert F. Kennedy Jr but contradicted by scientific evidence. Foreign Minister Joao Bernardo Vieira said in an interview on Tuesday that the study had been closed, citing concer...

THAILAND ALLEGES CAMBODIA PLANTED LAND MINES AFTER BLAST INJURES 3 SOLDIERS NEAR BORDER. (PHOTO).


 Thailand alleges Cambodia planted land mines after blast injures 3 soldiers near border

Three Thai soldiers were injured Saturday after one of them stepped on a land mine while patrolling near the Cambodian border, the Thai army reported.

The explosion occurred in Sisaket province, an area along the contested border, just two days after Thailand and Cambodia reaffirmed their commitment to a ceasefire aimed at ending last month’s brief but deadly conflict.

In a statement, the Thai army alleged that the mine was planted by Cambodia, calling it a “clear violation” of the Ottawa Convention — the international treaty banning the use of anti-personnel mines, which both nations have signed. Thailand’s foreign ministry echoed the claim, saying this was the third such incident in less than a month and accusing Cambodia of “blatant” disregard for international law.

Last month’s clashes left dozens dead on both sides, including civilians, and displaced more than 260,000 people. The fighting began a day after five Thai soldiers were wounded by a land mine in disputed territory. A ceasefire took effect on July 29, but tensions have remained high despite a 13-point truce agreement reached in Malaysia on Thursday.

Thai army spokesperson Maj. Gen. Winthai Suvaree said Saturday’s incident “seriously hinders” efforts to uphold the ceasefire and resolve disputes peacefully.

Cambodia’s Mine Action and Victim Assistance Authority denied the accusations, insisting no new mines have been planted and highlighting its “internationally recognized record” in clearing more than a million mines and nearly 3 million other unexploded devices left over from decades of war. Cambodian officials suggested earlier blasts may have been caused by leftover mines from past conflicts.

Saturday’s blast left a Thai sergeant major with severe injuries, including the loss of his left foot, while two other soldiers sustained less serious wounds.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

INNOSON GIVES OUT BRAND NEW IVM G5 AND SALARY FOR LIFE TO THE MAN WHO PROPHESIED ABOUT HIS VEHICLE MANUFACTURING IN 1979.(PHOTO).

SHAKIRA COVERS WOMEN'S HEALTH MAGAZINE,APRIL ISSUE.

TINUBU ANNOUNCES ARRIVAL OF 4 U.S ATTACK HELICOPTERS. (PHOTO).