Posts

IGP DISU RECEIVES ICAN PRESIDENT, SEEKS STRONGER PARTNERSHIP ON FORENSIC ACCOUNTING AND FINANCIAL CRIME. (PHOTOS). #PRESS RELEASE

Image
IGP DISU RECEIVES ICAN PRESIDENT, SEEKS STRONGER PARTNERSHIP ON FORENSIC ACCOUNTING AND FINANCIAL CRIME The Inspector-General of Police, IGP Olatunji Rilwan Disu, psc(+), NPM, today, 21st August, 2026, received the President and Chairman of Council of the Institute of Chartered Accountants of Nigeria (ICAN), Hajia Queensley Sofuratu Seghosime, mni, FCA, and her delegation at the Force Headquarters, Abuja, during a courtesy visit focused on strengthening collaboration between the Nigeria Police Force and the Institute. The ICAN President congratulated the IGP on his appointment and commended the priority areas of accountability, modernisation and institutional reform being pursued under his leadership. The delegation, which included the Registrar/Chief Executive, Dr. Lanre Olasunkanmi; Chairman, ICAN Abuja District, Mr. Emeka Okoroeze; and Mr. Adamu Yusuf, FCA, discussed the growing complexity of financial and economic crimes and the need for stronger technical capacity in forensic acco...

CUBANS, VENEZUELANS AND COLOMBIANS AMONG 1,200 US DEPORTEES TO BE FLOWN TO LIBERIA. (PHOTO).

Image
 Cubans, Venezuelans and Colombians among 1,200 US deportees to be flown to Liberia People deported by the US to Liberia will mostly hail from Latin American countries including Cuba and Venezuela, Liberia's information minister told Reuters, as authorities received the first deportation flight. The West African nation announced on Tuesday that it had agreed to accept up to 1,200 third-country deportees from the US in the next 12 months, the latest of several deals the Trump administration has implemented on the continent to accelerate removals. A government statement on Tuesday said the deportees would come from "African and Western Hemisphere ​countries", without specifying, while the State Department did not provide details on nationalities. Liberia's information minister, Jerolinmek Piah, told Reuters that "most of the people are from Latin American countries. Some from Venezuela, Cuba, Colombia and others." 'Guests' He said the International Org...

ANOTHER GROUP OF 870 SUDANESE NATIONALS LEAVE EGYPT FOR HOME. (PHOTO).

Image
 Another group of 870 Sudanese nationals leave Egypt for home Sudan’s Al Amal Committee for Voluntary Return said on Thursday that 870 Sudanese nationals had left Egypt for Sudan aboard 30 buses departing from Cairo, Alexandria and Aswan, the state-run Sudan News Agency (SUNA) reported. The Al Amal Committee is a community-led humanitarian initiative that coordinates with Sudanese state institutions to facilitate the safe and voluntary return of citizens. Returnees include university professors and students enrolled in Sudanese universities, the committee said. Hassan Khalid, rapporteur for the return committee, said the committee had helped organise the repatriation of roughly 50,000 Sudanese nationals from Egypt to Sudan. Last week, the committee announced the departure of 22 buses carrying 1,100 Sudanese from Egypt. Early this month, 350 Sudanese nationals returned from Alexandria aboard seven buses under the same programme. In July, more than 6,000 Sudanese returned from Egypt ...

GUINEA-BISSAU FACES FIRST MPOX OUTBREAK: UNICEF. (PHOTO).

Image
 Guinea-Bissau faces first mpox outbreak: UNICEF Guinea-Bissau is facing its first outbreak of mpox, UN children's agency UNICEF said, voicing concern that half of suspected cases were affecting children. "This is the first time mpox cases have been reported in Guinea-Bissau, making even a small outbreak a major public health event," Sandra Martins, UNICEF deputy representative in Guinea-Bissau, said in a statement. Guinea-Bissau confirms seven cases "We face the risk that cases are going undetected, particularly among children who are the most vulnerable to severe complications," she said. As of August 17, Guinea-Bissau had reported seven confirmed mpox cases, all among adults. No deaths have been reported. But, out of 46 suspected cases, 23 are children aged under 15, UNICEF said, adding the reopening of schools next month could contribute to spread of the disease. Mpox, which is caused by a virus from the same family as smallpox, can be transmitted to humans ...

CENTRAL AFRICAN REPUBLIC SHUTS GOLD MINE AFTER DEADLY COLLAPSE. ( PHOTO).

Image
 Central African Republic shuts gold mine after deadly collapse The Central African Republic has temporarily shut a gold mine near the Cameroonian border after a landslide killed dozens of people earlier this week, the country's mines minister said. Rufin Benam-Beltoungou visited the Zamboye artisanal gold mine on Wednesday and put the official death toll at 49, the ministry told AFP. The minister confirmed this included 34 Central Africans, 13 Cameroonians and two Chadians. Several local sources have told AFP that around 100 people died, with many still missing and likely buried beneath the rubble. Seven injured people were taken to hospital in the nearby town of Baboua, around 50 kilometres (30 miles) away. Security agencies guard mine The mining site was closed and access to the pit barred on Thursday, an AFP correspondent reported. Security reinforcements, including personnel from the Russian paramilitary group Wagner, were deployed to the area. Rescue efforts were suspended as...

POLICE CONFIRM EX-ZAMBIAN TRANSPORT MINISTER KILLED DURING POST-ELECTION SECURITY OPERATION. (PHOTO).

Image
 Police confirm ex-Zambian transport minister killed during post-election security operation Zambian police confirmed that a former cabinet minister was shot and killed in a security force raid on the home of the main opposition leader after last week's elections. The operation was a day after the August 13 vote, which handed President Hakainde Hichilema a second term with 60 percent of ballots, according to the electoral authority. The cabinet said last week the raid targeted a suspected militia posing "a serious threat to State security" and 11 people were rounded up. Opposition leader Brian Mundubile, the runner-up in the poll, said it took place at his house and parliamentarian Mutotwe Kafwaya was struck by gunfire, but he had no news of him since. The police confirmed in a statement on said that he was killed in the joint task force operation. Security forces met with "gunfire and resistance from unknown individuals, resulting in the task force returning fire...

SOUTH AFRICAN POLICE BUST $37M INDUSTRIAL DRUG LAB IN LIMPOPO. (PHOTO).

Image
 South African Police Bust $37M Industrial Drug Lab In Limpopo South African police have shut down a suspected industrial-scale drug manufacturing laboratory in Musina, northern Limpopo Province. Officers seized drugs and equipment worth more than $37 million, plus an undisclosed amount of cash. Five suspects have been arrested: two Mexicans, two Zimbabweans, and one Malawian, aged between 20 and 47. The raid followed a two-month intelligence-driven investigation and involved multiple agencies, including the police's specialist Hawks unit, the US Drug Enforcement Administration, and US Homeland Security. Police say this is the third clandestine drug laboratory shut down in the province along the border with Zimbabwe.