MY DECISION TO WITHDRAW FROM THE RIVERS STATE GUBERNATORIAL PRIMARIES- GOV. FUBARA. (PHOTO). #PRESS RELEASE.

Image
 GOVERNMENT OF RIVERS STATE   PRESS STATEMENT  MY DECISION TO WITHDRAW FROM THE RIVERS  STATE  GUBERNATORIAL PRIMARIES  Fellow Rivers People, After deep reflection and extensive consultations with my family, friends, and associates, I have taken the difficult but necessary decision to withdraw from the APC gubernatorial primaries. I do so with a full heart and with a firm commitment to support whoever emerges as the candidate of our great party. Leadership is ultimately about sacrifice. There comes a time when personal ambition must yield to the greater good of the people. Rivers State is bigger than any individual, and at this critical moment, the peace, stability, and unity of our dear state must take precedence over every personal interest. To my supporters who stood firmly with me throughout this journey who gave their time, resources, prayers, and unwavering hope, I offer my deepest gratitude. I understand the disappointment, the anger, and the pa...

MOZAMBIQUE SOCIAL MEDIA RESTRICTED AFTER TENSE ELECTIONS.(PHOTO).


 Mozambique social media restricted after tense elections


Social media access in Mozambique was restricted for a second time in a week on Thursday, a global internet watchdog said, as the opposition called for nationwide strikes over a disputed presidential election.


Tensions heightened in the Southern African nation after the ruling Frelimo party which has held power for 49 years won an October 9 vote that opposition parties and electoral observers said was flawed, AFP reported.


"We can confirm social media restrictions have been imposed in Mozambique," London-based internet watchdog NetBlocks said, adding it affected Facebook, Instagram and WhatsApp.


Last Friday a temporary internet blackout was introduced, a day after election results were announced by the electoral commission and protests were violently suppressed.


'Near-total disruption'


NetBlocks said at the time that there was a "near-total disruption to mobile internet connectivity in Mozambique."


On October 24, Frelimo's Daniel Chapo, 47, was declared winner of the presidential election with almost 71% of votes.


Opposition leader Venancio Mondlane, 50, of the small Podemos party, came second with 20%.


After the announcement, police cracked down on opposition supporters who took to the streets.


Deadly protests


Human Rights Watch (HRW) said that at least 11 people were killed by security forces and more than 50 others were injured on October 24 and 25.


Police did not respond to HRW's report but previously said that 20 people were injured in post-electoral violence and that two people had died, without giving details.


A police investigation was opened into Mondlane following the unrest and his whereabouts remain unknown.


But the former radio host turned politician, who has widely used social media to communicate with his supporters, rallying them to protest, again called for a nationwide strike from October 31 to November 7.


Ghost city


It was unclear if his call to "paralyse" the country from northern Cabo Delgado to Maputo, more than 2,400 kilometres (about 1,500 miles) away would be heeded, but the capital was a ghost city on Thursday.


Police sent out text messages on Wednesday evening and Thursday morning, including to an AFP reporter, instructing residents not to participate in acts of "sabotage".


The public prosecutor also issued a statement saying that while it was a "fundamental right" to protest, "anyone who... causes material or personal damage shall be punished."


Electoral flaws


Podemos party President Albino Forquilha said on Thursday he would "do everything to ensure that there is no violence" during the planned week-long strike "but we need to fight for justice".


Election observers, including from the European Union, have noted serious flaws before, during and after the vote.


Mondlane and his Podemos party, which overshadowed the main opposition party Renamo in the election, on Sunday appealed to the Constitutional Court for a ballot recount.


The judicial body has since requested results sheets and minutes of polling stations in six provinces and Maputo from the electoral commission, giving them eight days to produce the documents.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

SHAKIRA COVERS WOMEN'S HEALTH MAGAZINE,APRIL ISSUE.

THE NEW OONI OF ILE-IFE,WILL NOT EAT THE HEART OF THE LATE OONI-PALACE CHIEFS.

INNOSON GIVES OUT BRAND NEW IVM G5 AND SALARY FOR LIFE TO THE MAN WHO PROPHESIED ABOUT HIS VEHICLE MANUFACTURING IN 1979.(PHOTO).