LASG PRESENTS STAFF OF OFFICE TO NEW ONIȘẸ OF ISE KINGDOM. (PHOTOS). #PRESS RELEASE.

Image
 LASG PRESENTS STAFF OF OFFICE TO NEW ONIȘẸ OF ISE KINGDOM The Lagos State Government has presented the Staff of Office and Instrument of Appointment to Prince Ibrahim Adebowale Saliu, as His Royal Majesty, Alaiyeluwa Oba Ibrahim Adebowale Saliu, the Onise of Ise Kingdom in Lekki Local Government Area. The presentation was performed on Friday, August 21, 2026, by the Special Adviser to the Governor on Rural Development, Dr. Nurudeen Yekinni Agbaje, alongside the Permanent Secretary, Ministry of Local Government, Chieftaincy Affairs and Rural Development, Mrs. Kikelomo Bolarinwa, with the approval of the Lagos State Governor, Mr. Babajide Olusola Sanwo-Olu and the Lagos State Executive Council, following the demise of the late Oba Ganiu Adebowale Adegbesan, Onise of Ise Kingdom. Speaking at the occasion, Dr. Agbaje urged the new Monarch to make peace, unity and inclusive development the pillars of his reign, stressing the important role traditional institutions play in promoting har...

UGANDA'S TOP COURT BANS CIVILIAN TRIALS IN MILITARY COURTS. (PHOTO).


 Uganda's top court bans civilian trials in military courts


Uganda's top court said on Friday that trying civilians in military courts was unconstitutional and ordered any ongoing prosecutions to stop immediately, Reuters reported.


The ruling will offer relief to a key opposition figure, Kizza Besigye, who has been undergoing trial by the country's general court martial, his lawyer Erias Lukwago said, adding that the defendant would now not appear in court on Monday as originally scheduled.


"All charges or ongoing criminal trials or pending trials before the courts martial involving civilians must immediately cease," Chief Justice Alphonse Owiny-Dollo said, reading the lead judgement of a panel of Supreme Court justices.


All ongoing trials must be transferred to civilian courts, he said.


Besigye, a long-time opponent of President Yoweri Museveni, was detained in neighbouring Kenya in November.


He was subsequently brought home and charged with several firearms and security offences at the military's general court martial. Some of the charges carry the death penalty.


He has been in detention at a maximum security prison in the capital Kampala. The court has previously rejected arguments by Besigye's lawyers that challenged its powers to try civilians.


Owiny-Dollo said members of military courts did not possess legal competence to handle criminal trials in a fair and impartial manner, as required by the constitution.


Another justice on the panel, Elizabeth Musoke, said military courts were only empowered to handle disciplinary cases involving members of the country's military.


Besigye's wife, Winnie Byanyima, the executive director of U.N. agency UNAIDS, has previously said the charges against him were politically motivated. His lawyers have rejected the charges as baseless.


Human rights activists and opposition politicians have accused Museveni's government of using military courts to prosecute opposition leaders and supporters on politically motivated charges.


In a 2011 report, Human Rights Watch said Uganda's military courts violated fundamental rights of defendants while putting civilians on trial, including through the use of evidence obtained by torture.


The government has rejected any accusations of rights violations.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

SHAKIRA COVERS WOMEN'S HEALTH MAGAZINE,APRIL ISSUE.

INNOSON GIVES OUT BRAND NEW IVM G5 AND SALARY FOR LIFE TO THE MAN WHO PROPHESIED ABOUT HIS VEHICLE MANUFACTURING IN 1979.(PHOTO).

MUSICIAN HARRY-SONG,REVEALS THE FACE OF THE FEMALE FAN WHO IS THREATENING TO KILL HIM.{PHOTOS}.