Deadly coal mine explosion in northern China kills at least 82, triggers safety probe and rescue efforts
Authorities in northern China are investigating a coal mine operator over potential safety violations following a massive explosion that killed at least 82 people and left others missing, marking one of the country’s deadliest mining disasters in recent years.
Rescue operations continued at the Liushenyu coal mine in Shanxi province, where hundreds of emergency responders and medical teams were deployed. Officials said teams were rotating into the mine shaft despite hazardous conditions, including flooded tunnels and lingering toxic gases. Two people remained missing, while dozens of injured miners were being treated in hospitals.
The blast occurred on Friday evening in Qinyuan County in Changzhi city. Security forces and police were stationed at the mine entrance as investigators began examining the site. Chinese President Xi Jinping has called for a full investigation and accountability for those responsible.
Initial casualty figures were later revised down from 90 deaths, with officials citing confusion at the scene and inaccurate information provided by the mine operator in the aftermath of the explosion. Authorities have not yet detailed the specific violations but said the company “seriously” breached safety laws. State media also reported that discrepancies between official mine blueprints and the actual underground layout complicated rescue efforts.
Miners who survived described sudden smoke, gas exposure, and blackouts underground. Many of the injured were affected by toxic fumes. The region’s coal-rich Shanxi province is China’s primary coal-producing area, supplying a significant share of the country’s energy needs.
In nearby villages, residents described the mine as central to local employment, with many workers earning more than 10,000 yuan per month. Some miners said they were on-site or nearby when the explosion occurred, while others narrowly escaped after detecting gas and withdrawing from the tunnels.
Following the disaster, several nearby mines reportedly suspended operations as authorities launched a broader safety inspection campaign across the region. The review will focus on ventilation systems, gas drainage, monitoring equipment, and underground mapping, raising concerns about potential disruptions to coal output.
China continues to rely heavily on coal for energy despite ongoing efforts to expand renewable sources. The Liushenyu mine had previously been flagged by national safety regulators as a high-risk operation.
Comments
Post a Comment