SUPER EAGLES COACH ERIC CHELLE SIGNS WITH NEW SPORTS AGENCY TO REPRESENT HIM HENCEFORTH. (PHOTO).

Image
 Super eagles coach Eric Chelle has signed for a new sports agency to represent him henceforth.  Eric Chelle, head coach of Nigeria’s Super Eagles, has signed with a new sports agency to represent him going forward.  The move is expected to strengthen his professional management and strategic engagements within the global football space.

SOUTH SUDAN ORDERS EVACUATIONS OF UN STAFF, CIVILIANS IN THREE COUNTIES AHEAD OF MILITARY OFFENSIVE. (PHOTO).


 South Sudan orders evacuations of UN staff, civilians in three counties ahead of military offensive


South Sudan's military has ordered all civilians and personnel from the UN mission and all other charities to evacuate three counties in Jonglei State ahead of an operation there against opposition forces.


Clashes that the United Nations says are occurring at a scale not seen since 2017 have been convulsing South Sudan, Africa's youngest country, for months.


Some of the fiercest fighting has taken place in Jonglei, located in the country's east on the border with Ethiopia, where the South Sudan People's Defence Forces (SSPDF) is seeking to halt an offensive by fighters loyal to Sudan People's Liberation Army-in-Opposition (SPLA-IO).


An operation code-named "operation enduring peace" was "imminent," the SSPDF said in an evacuation statement, Reuters reported.


Evacuate in 48 hours


The military said all civilians living in Nyirol, Uror and Akobo counties in Jonglei were "directed to immediately evacuate for safety to government-controlled areas as soon as possible."


All personnel from the United Nations Mission in South Sudan (UNMISS) and those working for non-governmental organisations were also ordered to evacuate the three counties within 48 hours.


"Our peacekeepers in Akobo remain in place, carrying out all efforts under our mandate to help de-escalate tensions and prevent conflict," a UNMISS spokesperson told Reuters. She did not say whether UN staff also remained in the other counties.


Last week SPLA-IO called on its forces to march on South Sudan's capital, Juba, signalling a major escalation.


Heavy fighting


Earlier this month SPLA-IO forces seized the town of Pajut in heavy fighting in the north of Jonglei and the town's capture was seen as putting the state capital of Bor at risk.


In a statement on Sunday UNMISS said 180,000 people in the state had already been displaced by the conflict and urged South Sudan's leaders "to put the interests of their people first by stopping the fighting."


Medical charity Médecins Sans Frontières (MSF) said in a statement on Sunday it had evacuated key staff from Akobo county after "clear instruction from the relevant authorities, and in response to the deteriorating security situation in the area."


SPLA-IO forces led by South Sudan's vice president Riek Machar battled the military in the 2013-18 civil war, which was fought along largely ethnic lines and killed about 400,000 people.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

INNOSON GIVES OUT BRAND NEW IVM G5 AND SALARY FOR LIFE TO THE MAN WHO PROPHESIED ABOUT HIS VEHICLE MANUFACTURING IN 1979.(PHOTO).

SHAKIRA COVERS WOMEN'S HEALTH MAGAZINE,APRIL ISSUE.

TINUBU ANNOUNCES ARRIVAL OF 4 U.S ATTACK HELICOPTERS. (PHOTO).