FORMER MANCHESTER UNITED STAR PAUL SCHOLES HANDED SIX-MONTH DRIVING BAN.(PHOTO).

Image
 Former Manchester United star Paul Scholes handed six-month driving ban Former Manchester United midfielder Paul Scholes has been handed a six month driving ban after he racked up two convictions in the space of two days. The 51-year-old was caught speeding in a Range Rover in March while on a late-night drive through Cleckheaton in West Yorkshire. West Yorkshire Police brought a prosecution over the incident, as Scholes’ car had been clocked at 37mph on a 30mph stretch of residential road. The ex-England star was also taken to task by Greater Manchester Police after a Mercedes registered in his name was caught driving at 49mph in a 30mph zone in November last year. Scholes was then prosecuted for failing to respond to two police letters asking for confirmation that he had been the speeding driver. The two criminal cases culminated in hearings on two days last week, when Scholes was handed a six-month driving ban and ordered to pay fines, costs, and court fees totalling £1,472. A ...

ECOWAS TO ESTABLISH ANTI-TERRORISM FORCE WITH AN INITIAL CONTINGENT OF 2,000 TROOPS. (PHOTO).


 ECOWAS to establish anti-terrorism force with an initial contingent of 2,000 troops


West African states decided over the weekend to create a new 2,000-strong force to combat terrorism in the region, diplomatic and military sources told AFP on Tuesday.


The idea of an anti-terrorism force has been discussed for years by the 12 countries of the Economic Community of West African States (ECOWAS).


The Sahel, which cuts across Africa separating the continent's north from its sub-Saharan part, has for years been plagued by terrorism, led by groups linked to Al Qaeda and other terrorist organisations.


The groups have been particularly active in Burkina Faso, Mali and Niger, which quit the ECOWAS group in recent years, saying the bloc had ceased serving their interests.


Initial contingent of 2,000 soldiers


The three countries will not take part in the new force, officials said.


Following a meeting of ECOWAS military chiefs in Freetown on February 28 and March 1, details of the new force to "combat terrorism" were decided, a senior Nigerian military official told AFP.


Several participating countries announced the number of soldiers they would contribute, he said.


The initial goal is to have around 2,000 troops ready to fight "terrorism and insecurity" across West Africa, he added.


'Worrying picture'


During the discussions, military chiefs "painted a worrying picture of the regional security landscape", a source close to the meeting said.


"The discussions focused on the rise of the terrorist threat, the expansion of transnational organised crime, and the persistent challenges related to maritime insecurity," the source said.


The troops of the new force will remain stationed in their countries of origin, with Sierra Leone serving as a logistical base for the group, according to an official Sierra Leonean source.


Officials are still thrashing out the details of how to finance the force, a source close to the talks told AFP.


ECOWAS encourages Alliance of Sahel States to cooperate on security


ECOWAS has not yet issued an official statement.


A West African chief of staff told AFP that although Burkina Faso, Mali and Niger have formed their own alliance, they will be encouraged to cooperate with the ECOWAS force.


The three countries "are in a part of the Sahel that is the epicentre of the fight against the terrorists. They must be included," he said.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

SHAKIRA COVERS WOMEN'S HEALTH MAGAZINE,APRIL ISSUE.

INNOSON GIVES OUT BRAND NEW IVM G5 AND SALARY FOR LIFE TO THE MAN WHO PROPHESIED ABOUT HIS VEHICLE MANUFACTURING IN 1979.(PHOTO).

MUSICIAN HARRY-SONG,REVEALS THE FACE OF THE FEMALE FAN WHO IS THREATENING TO KILL HIM.{PHOTOS}.