
According to the United Nation who said yesterday monday that,at least 21 people were killed,40 wounded and dozens of houses burned down in this weekend attacks aimed at Hutus in eastern Democratic Republic of Congo.U.N spokesman Amouzoun Codjo Martin said the weekend attacks were carried out by members of two militias,the Nande-dominated UPDI and the NDC,which is mostly made up of Nyanga,and another local ethnic group.The U.N said in a statement that ''The fighting had reached an alarming level and could cause a large scale of violence in the region,as well as displacement of civilians.The U.N has also receive reports of looting,abduction and rape over the past few days''.Tensions have spiked between the Hutu and neighboring communities since Congo's army launched a military offensive last year against the FDLR,displacing large numbers of fighters and Hutu civilians.Congolese troops and U.N peacekeepers were forced to fire inti the air last wednesday in a nearby town to disperse Hutu and Nande villagers after the two groups clashed with machetes and batons.One more photo below.
Comments
Post a Comment