
Garba Shehu,the Senior Special Assistant to the President on Media and Publicity,confirmed this development in a statement issued in Abuja yesterday sunday.According to the presidential spokesman,the Office of National Security Adviser {ONSA} is adopting the whistle-blowing approach so as to end shooting incidents and the harrassment of law abiding citizens by holders of such illegal weapons.He said the proposed adoption of the whistle-blowing policy on illegal weapons by the Federal Government,followed the success of the policy in the recovery of huge amount of questionable and stolen funds by the Economic and Financial Crimes Commision {EFCC}.Shehu said the presidency had started drawing up the rules of a whistle-blower mechanism to throw a spotlight on the regime of gun ownership and control as a bold move to prevent and eradicate illegal ownership of small arms and light weapons in the country.He explained that the aim was to disarm communities especially those with proclivity to violence.,''What ever form or shape it takes,the administration wants to take a tough line to curtail the large number of illegal weapons in circulation used in intra and inter-communal conflicts,'' he said.Shehu disclosed that the ONSA had already inaugurated a committee saddled with the responsibility of the recovery of small arms and light weapons in the country.
Comments
Post a Comment