GUINEA-BISSAU STOPS VACCINE STUDY FUNDED BY TRUMP ADMINISTRATION. (PHOTO).

Image
 Guinea-Bissau stops vaccine study funded by Trump administration Guinea-Bissau's foreign minister has said his government has stopped a study funded by the Trump administration aiming to evaluate side effects of the life-saving hepatitis B vaccine, including any links to autism. The West African country, one of the region's poorest, has high rates of hepatitis B, and the prospective study had drawn an outcry from scientists and international health bodies because only half the newborns in the trial would get the vaccine at birth. World Health Organization Director-General Tedros Ghebreyesus said it was not ethical. Guinea-Bissau last month suspended the trial pending an ethical review. Critics had said it was being used to test theories linking vaccines to autism, long promoted by U.S. Health Secretary Robert F. Kennedy Jr but contradicted by scientific evidence. Foreign Minister Joao Bernardo Vieira said in an interview on Tuesday that the study had been closed, citing concer...

RWANDAN LEADER SAYS 'UNSURE' IF PEACE DEAL WITH DR CONGO WILL HOLD. (PHOTO).


 Rwandan leader says 'unsure' if peace deal with DR Congo will hold


Rwandan President Paul Kagame said on Friday he was unsure whether a US-brokered peace deal would hold with neighbouring Democratic Republic of Congo, Reuters reported.


The agreement calls for Rwandan troops to withdraw within 90 days from eastern Congo, where the United Nations says they are supporting M23 rebels who seized the region's two largest cities earlier this year.


Rwanda denies helping M23 and says its forces are acting in self-defence against Congo's army and ethnic Hutu militiamen linked to the 1994 Rwandan genocide, including from the Democratic Forces for the Liberation of Rwanda (FDLR).


Kagame told reporters that Rwanda was committed to implementing the deal but that it could fail if Congo did not live up to its promises to neutralise the FDLR.


‘Plays tricks’


"If the side that we are working with plays tricks and takes us back to the problem, then we deal with the problem like we have been dealing with it," Kagame said.


Kagame said he was grateful for the involvement of US President Donald Trump's administration in mediation efforts.


"If it doesn't work, they aren't the ones to blame," he said.


Congo's government and M23 said on Thursday they would send delegations back to Qatar for parallel talks aimed at ending the conflict, which has killed thousands of people and displaced hundreds of thousands more since January.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

INNOSON GIVES OUT BRAND NEW IVM G5 AND SALARY FOR LIFE TO THE MAN WHO PROPHESIED ABOUT HIS VEHICLE MANUFACTURING IN 1979.(PHOTO).

SHAKIRA COVERS WOMEN'S HEALTH MAGAZINE,APRIL ISSUE.

TINUBU ANNOUNCES ARRIVAL OF 4 U.S ATTACK HELICOPTERS. (PHOTO).