SUPER EAGLES COACH ERIC CHELLE SIGNS WITH NEW SPORTS AGENCY TO REPRESENT HIM HENCEFORTH. (PHOTO).
Vatican rejects role on Trump’s Board of Peace
The Vatican said it will not take part in President Donald Trump’s newly formed Board of Peace, emphasizing that major international crises should be addressed through the United Nations rather than alternative diplomatic bodies. Cardinal Pietro Parolin, the Holy See’s top diplomat, said the Vatican declined the invitation because of the board’s “particular nature,” noting that its structure differs from that of traditional state-led international efforts. He stressed that the Holy See believes global conflicts should primarily be managed within the established framework of the U.N., a position the Vatican has consistently supported in matters of international diplomacy.
Pope Leo XIV, the first American pontiff, had been invited to join the board, which was initially presented as part of broader peace efforts tied to the conflict between Israel and Gaza. President Trump has since expanded the scope of the initiative, saying it could help mediate other global disputes beyond the Middle East. The board is scheduled to hold its first meeting in Washington on Thursday, with discussions expected to focus on Gaza’s reconstruction following a fragile ceasefire reached in October. Italy and the European Union are expected to attend as observers but have not formally joined. While the Vatican maintains an extensive diplomatic presence worldwide and serves as a permanent observer at the United Nations, the pope rarely participates directly in international boards, even as Pope Leo has repeatedly spoken out about the humanitarian crisis in Gaza.
Comments
Post a Comment