BLAMING OPPOSITION FOR HUNGER IS ‘DELUSION’, ATIKU TELLS TINUBU. (PHOTO).
Peter Obi, the Labour Party’s 2023 presidential candidate, has debunked claims that he worked closely with the late General Sani Abacha, Nigeria’s military Head of State from 1993 to 1998. The rebuttal follows accusations by Reno Omokri, a vocal critic, who alleged that Obi was personally selected by Abacha to lead a task force on port decongestion.
In a video posted on X on July 3, Omokri claimed, “Abacha and Peter Obi worked hand-in-hand; Abacha personally selected Peter Obi to head a task force to decongest the ports. I’ve got documentary evidence to back up what I’m saying.” He further threatened to release evidence if Obi denied the association.
In response, Obi, a former Anambra State governor, shared a document on X on Wednesday, July 9, titled “Appointment as co-opted members of the task force on ports decongestion.” Dated April 24, 1996, and signed by Abu Gidado, the then Minister of State for Finance, the document confirms Obi’s role as a co-opted member of the task force, alongside others, to address port inefficiencies.
Obi clarified that his involvement was purely economic and civic, not political, and aimed at improving logistics for Nigerian businesses. “I had never met General Sani Abacha before that encounter,” Obi stated, reiterating comments from a recent interview. “In consonance with my established principles of defending everything I am involved in, and in the interest of all men and women of goodwill, especially those committed to the pursuit of truth, I hereby attach the letter which documents my co-opting into the Taskforce.”
Obi emphasized that the task force’s objective was to tackle inefficiencies plaguing Nigeria’s ports, contributing to better economic outcomes. The release of the document has sparked discussions online, with supporters praising Obi’s transparency and critics continuing to debate the nature of his role during Abacha’s regime.
More photos below.
Comments
Post a Comment