GUINEA-BISSAU STOPS VACCINE STUDY FUNDED BY TRUMP ADMINISTRATION. (PHOTO).

Image
 Guinea-Bissau stops vaccine study funded by Trump administration Guinea-Bissau's foreign minister has said his government has stopped a study funded by the Trump administration aiming to evaluate side effects of the life-saving hepatitis B vaccine, including any links to autism. The West African country, one of the region's poorest, has high rates of hepatitis B, and the prospective study had drawn an outcry from scientists and international health bodies because only half the newborns in the trial would get the vaccine at birth. World Health Organization Director-General Tedros Ghebreyesus said it was not ethical. Guinea-Bissau last month suspended the trial pending an ethical review. Critics had said it was being used to test theories linking vaccines to autism, long promoted by U.S. Health Secretary Robert F. Kennedy Jr but contradicted by scientific evidence. Foreign Minister Joao Bernardo Vieira said in an interview on Tuesday that the study had been closed, citing concer...

CANCER AND HIV/AIDS AWARENESS: LASG SEEKS PRIVATE SECTOR PARTNERSHIP.

No automatic alt text available.
      The Lagos State Government has identified the need to explore the private sector involvement in its drive to increase public awareness on Cancer and HIV/AIDs as part of efforts to stem the spread of the deadly diseases.
The Lagos State Commissioner for Youth and Social Development, Pharm. Uzamat Akinbile-Yussuf, said that there is a need for the Private Sector and Non-Governmental Organizations to continually support and partner with government in the area of research and public education of these common diseases in the society.
Speaking at an awareness outreach on Breast, Cervical Cancer Screening and HIV Testing and Counseling for Youth in Apapa-Iganmu Local Council Development Area of the State, Akinbile-Yussuf added that the obligation of raising awareness about the potential killer diseases should be collectively pursued and not to be left to government alone.
She lamented that presently, there are no sufficient awareness and knowledge on the causes of breast cancer among young people, stressing that the level of awareness about the signs to look out for when undergoing breast cancer examination should be improved upon.
She said although the state government is aware of the heavy burden the diseases places on victims, the increment in awareness at all public and professional places will go a long way in reducing the spread with the assistance of other health intervention programmes in the state.
She added that research from the private sector will assist the government make adequate provision particularly on breast and cervical cancer awareness campaigns and also make some informed decisions.
The Commissioner urged youths and residents of the area to utilize the free screening, testing and counseling made available for them by the State government
Earlier, the Permanent Secretary of the Ministry, Mr. Hakeem Muri-Okunola appealed to Lagosians to show affection to friends and relatives who are affected by any of the diseases, saying the diseases could be life-threatening at some stages.
He said the screening is in continuation of the global wakeup call for everyone to embrace seeking medical assistance when necessary.
Muri-Okunola advised the people to avail themselves with good health through eating a balanced diet; regular exercise and early detection to reduce chances of being infected with cancer, urging them to also raise awareness in their environments.The Speaker, Lagos State Youth Parliament, Hon. Seriki Muritala who spoke on HIV prevention and care enjoined patients of the disease not to lose hope but should seek counseling from certified counselors in all government-owned hospitals in the state.
No automatic alt text available.
   

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

INNOSON GIVES OUT BRAND NEW IVM G5 AND SALARY FOR LIFE TO THE MAN WHO PROPHESIED ABOUT HIS VEHICLE MANUFACTURING IN 1979.(PHOTO).

SHAKIRA COVERS WOMEN'S HEALTH MAGAZINE,APRIL ISSUE.

TINUBU ANNOUNCES ARRIVAL OF 4 U.S ATTACK HELICOPTERS. (PHOTO).