CBN DEBUNKS FAKE NEWS ON NEW N5,000 AND N10,000 BANKNOTES.(PHOTO).

Image
  The Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN) has dismissed a viral claim circulating on social media about the introduction of new ₦5,000 and ₦10,000 banknotes, labeling it as fake news. The claim, which included fabricated images of the supposed new denominations featuring Dr. Nnamdi Azikiwe and Chief Obafemi Awolowo, falsely stated that the new notes would enter circulation from May 1, 2025. In a statement on its verified Facebook account, the CBN clarified that the content is not from the bank and directed the public to its official website, (www.cbn.gov.ng), for authentic information. The bank warned against spreading misinformation regarding monetary policies and urged Nigerians to rely only on official statements from its verified channels. The CBN reaffirmed that any major policy decision, including the introduction of new banknotes, would be announced through its official platforms. The public is advised to remain cautious and verify financial information from credible sources befor...

SOUTH AFRICAN POLICE HUNT ALLEGED ILLEGAL MINE KINGPIN. (PHOTO).


 South African police hunt alleged illegal mine kingpin


South African police have launched a manhunt for a Lesotho gang member believed to have controlled operations at an illegal gold mine where 78 bodies were recovered last week during a police siege, from which he escaped, Reuters reported.


The alleged kingpin, known as "Tiger," surfaced from the mine in Stilfontein while it was under police surveillance and escaped from custody with the help of officials, a statement from the South African Police Service said on Monday.


"Extensive investigations and tracing operations are underway to find those officials who aided his escape between shaft 11 and the Stilfontein police holding cells," the statement said.


Police were widely condemned for the months-long operation in which they cut off food and water supplies to the miners in an attempt to force them out of the mine to face arrest.


The stand-off culminated in a state-sponsored rescue operation last week in which 246 survivors were retrieved from the deep mine, many of whom were emaciated and weak from hunger.


But police claim the gang leaders were to blame for the deaths, citing reports from some miners who said there was food underground but the kingpins kept it for themselves.


Thousands of people are believed to be involved in illegal gold mining in abandoned industrial mines in South Africa in search of leftover gold. Some of the workers spend months at a time underground.


The lucrative industry is known to be run by Lesotho-based gangs, and police say some of the workers are illegal immigrants recruited from neighbouring countries without knowledge of what they have come to do.


Tiger was named in statements by miners as a ring leader who ran operations, the police statement said.


"He is also being accused by some illegal miners... (as) being allegedly responsible for some deaths, assault and torture that is alleged to have taken place according to videos in police possession. He is also alleged to have hoarded and kept food away from other illegal miners," it said.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

INNOSON GIVES OUT BRAND NEW IVM G5 AND SALARY FOR LIFE TO THE MAN WHO PROPHESIED ABOUT HIS VEHICLE MANUFACTURING IN 1979.(PHOTO).

SHAKIRA COVERS WOMEN'S HEALTH MAGAZINE,APRIL ISSUE.

ACTOR BABA IJESHA APPEALS FIVE-YEAR JAIL SENTENCE FOR SEXUAL ASSAULT. (PHOTO).