GUINEA-BISSAU STOPS VACCINE STUDY FUNDED BY TRUMP ADMINISTRATION. (PHOTO).

Image
 Guinea-Bissau stops vaccine study funded by Trump administration Guinea-Bissau's foreign minister has said his government has stopped a study funded by the Trump administration aiming to evaluate side effects of the life-saving hepatitis B vaccine, including any links to autism. The West African country, one of the region's poorest, has high rates of hepatitis B, and the prospective study had drawn an outcry from scientists and international health bodies because only half the newborns in the trial would get the vaccine at birth. World Health Organization Director-General Tedros Ghebreyesus said it was not ethical. Guinea-Bissau last month suspended the trial pending an ethical review. Critics had said it was being used to test theories linking vaccines to autism, long promoted by U.S. Health Secretary Robert F. Kennedy Jr but contradicted by scientific evidence. Foreign Minister Joao Bernardo Vieira said in an interview on Tuesday that the study had been closed, citing concer...

EGYPT CALLS FOR ISRAELI WITHDRAWAL FROM GAZA, REOPENING OF RAFAH CROSSING. (PHOTO).


 Egypt calls for Israeli withdrawal from Gaza, reopening of Rafah crossing


Egypt's Foreign Minister Badr Abdelatty has called for Israel’s withdrawal from Gaza, as well as the reopening of the Rafah border crossing in fulfilment of last year’s ceasefire agreement.


The call was made during Abdelatty’s meeting in Cairo with US Deputy Secretary of State Christopher Landau on Sunday to discuss bilateral relations and regional developments.


The two diplomats reviewed ways to strengthen the strategic partnership between Egypt and the US, and means of developing bilateral relations in the political and economic fields, the Foreign Ministry said in a statement.


The discussions also dwelt on developments in Gaza, Sudan, the Horn of Africa region, and Egypt’s water security.


Gaza peace and reconstruction


Abdelatty welcomed Egypt’s joining US President Donald Trump’s “Board of Peace.”


The board is an international organisation that seeks to promote stability, re-establish good governance and the rule of law, and ensure lasting peace in areas affected by or threatened by conflict, according to its charter.


Abdelatty stressed the importance of implementing the obligations of the second phase of Trump’s plan on Gaza, supporting a national committee tasked with running Gaza, and the swift deployment of an international stabilisation force to monitor the ceasefire.


He also emphasised the need to reopen the Rafah crossing between Gaza and Egypt in both directions and achieve Israel’s withdrawal from Gaza to pave the way for early recovery and reconstruction, the statement said, Anadolu Agency reported.


Devastating war on Palestinians


On Sunday, Israel’s Army Radio reported that Washington had reached an understanding with Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu regarding the reopening of the Rafah crossing, a vital route for aid delivery into Gaza.


The Israeli news website Walla said the crossing is set to open later this week.


The ceasefire plan halted Israel’s two-year war on Gaza, which has killed more than 71,000 people, mostly women and children, and injured over 171,000 others since October 2023.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

INNOSON GIVES OUT BRAND NEW IVM G5 AND SALARY FOR LIFE TO THE MAN WHO PROPHESIED ABOUT HIS VEHICLE MANUFACTURING IN 1979.(PHOTO).

SHAKIRA COVERS WOMEN'S HEALTH MAGAZINE,APRIL ISSUE.

TINUBU ANNOUNCES ARRIVAL OF 4 U.S ATTACK HELICOPTERS. (PHOTO).