ALGERIA GIFTS NIGER FOUR MILITARY HELICOPTERS. (PHOTO).
José Mourinho reveals he agreed to succeed Sir Alex Ferguson at Manchester United before rejoining Chelsea
José Mourinho has disclosed that he signed an agreement to take over as Manchester United manager after Sir Alex Ferguson’s retirement in 2013, only to change his mind and return to Chelsea instead.
The Portuguese coach made the revelation in his new Netflix documentary. He said the deal was struck after he left Real Madrid.
“I go to Chelsea in 2013, but in that period there is something nobody knows,” Mourinho said. “When I left Real Madrid, I signed with Manchester United to go to Manchester United after Sir Alex. I was, of course, very flattered, because Manchester United has an incredible appeal. When I say Real Madrid is the biggest club in the world, I have to say that Manchester United is very, very close.”
Ferguson, who retired at the end of the 2012/13 season, also appears in the documentary and recalled the moment Mourinho informed him of the change of heart.
“Early evening he phoned me and he was crying,” Ferguson said. “And he says, ‘Alex, I can’t take it – I’ve given my word to Chelsea, and I’m not going to break my word.’ The reason he gave to me I could understand, but I was disappointed.”
Mourinho subsequently began his second spell at Chelsea in 2013. Ferguson was succeeded at Old Trafford by David Moyes. Mourinho eventually took charge of Manchester United in 2016, replacing Louis van Gaal. In his two-and-a-half years at the club he won the Europa League, League Cup and Community Shield.
Comments
Post a Comment