LASG PRESENTS STAFF OF OFFICE TO NEW ONIȘẸ OF ISE KINGDOM. (PHOTOS). #PRESS RELEASE.
Klint da Drunk: Liquor brands dumped me over ‘drunk’ character
Comedian Afamefuna Igwemba, popularly known as Klint da Drunk, has said some liquor brands that previously partnered with him stopped working with him because of his long-running drunk character.
Speaking to Sunday Scoop, the comedian explained how the persona that defined much of his career has affected his relationship with brands.
He said liquor companies once understood and accepted his act but later changed their stance. “Most of the liquor companies I used to do branding for; it’s funny how they used to understand those things, but they don’t anymore. They now say my character is a vice to their brands and portrays them negatively,” he stated.
Igwemba named brands he previously worked with, including Lager Beer, Nigerian Breweries, Guinness and Glenfiddich. “I did a lot of work with them, and they were okay with my character. But all of a sudden, they turned their backs on me,” he said.
He described the situation as ironic, noting that he believes he could effectively promote responsible drinking. “In truth, I feel I should be the face of ‘Drink responsibly’. I could tell people, ‘Don’t be like the drunk; drink responsibly.’ You know, that kind of thing. But it’s fine. Maybe in the future, they will come around.”
The comedian also criticised what he called a growing lack of morals in comedy, arguing that the problem lies with content creators rather than the art form itself.
“Comedy is not the problem. The people in comedy are the problem. This generation was not taught properly to have the kind of respect that should come before entertainment. That’s why a young boy can come out and say anything about a woman’s body parts, and it will suffice. Everybody will like it,” he said.
Comparing the present to the 1990s, Igwemba noted that performers then considered public perception and producers’ standards. “In those days, you couldn’t even say such things. You would hear questions like, ‘What will people say about me? What will people think about me? Why did the producer make me say this?’ But now, we hear people saying these things, and the parents of these people will come out and stand by their children because money is coming in.
“So, you notice that the worship of money has actually opened the door for people to do anything as long as the money keeps coming in.”
He maintained that respect and morals have been discarded, and that clean comedy can still entertain. “If I go on stage and I don’t make jokes that are vulgar, people still laugh and enjoy it because of the way I craft them.
“Nowadays, even at weddings and corporate events, things have changed. I remember back then, they would tell us, ‘Don’t say vulgar things.’ Thank God, I’ve never really been a vulgar performer. But now, if you don’t go vulgar or immoral, you can’t make people laugh. The new funny is now the negative.”
Despite the shift, Igwemba said he would continue producing clean comedy. “I will continue on my path and craft it as much as possible to make people enjoy it more. I’m even turning more of my content towards the gospel, but in a way that accommodates everyone.”
Comments
Post a Comment