LASISMA COMMENCES PUBLIC CAMPAIGN AGAINST ILLEGAL OCCUPATION OF SETBACKS IN OJO. (PHOTOS). #PRESS RELEASE
Trump orders U.S flags to fly at half-staff for one week after Dolly Parton’s death
Dolly Parton has received a rare political honour from President Donald Trump, who ordered American flags to fly at half-staff nationwide for a full week after the country music icon’s death at 80.
The flags went to half-staff following Parton’s death on Aug. 25 and will remain there until sunset on Tuesday, Sept. 1, according to the White House.
The week-long tribute is longer than the periods ordered for other notable figures, including former Republican senator Lindsey Graham and conservative commentator Charlie Kirk.
Flags were flown at half-staff for five days after Graham’s death in July, while Kirk’s tribute lasted four days after his d3@th in September 2025.
Trump announced the decision on Truth Social, describing Parton as “one of the greatest country singers” and saying her p@ssing was “a true loss for millions of people.”
“There has never been anyone like her, and never will,” Trump wrote. “In her honor, I am lowering the American flag throughout the United States for a one-week period beginning tonight at 6:00PM. Rest in Peace, Dolly! The World loves you.”
The honour comes despite Parton having twice declined offers of the Presidential Medal of Freedom during Trump’s first term and once during Joe Biden’s presidency.
Parton generally avoided publicly stating her political views. In a 2021 interview with PEOPLE, she explained why she was careful about what she said publicly.
“I know whatever I say, people are going to listen, and they’re going to make more of it than maybe what I meant. So I have to be careful,” she said.
“Of course I have my opinion, but I’m not an opinionated person as a rule. You’re allowed your own beliefs and your own faith, but you don’t have to use it like a weapon when it could be a tool.”
Parton had visited the White House in 2006 as a Kennedy Center honoree during George W. Bush’s presidency and was photographed with former President Jimmy Carter in 1979.
Comments
Post a Comment